Michael L. Walden, Ph. D.
Awards and Recognitions
- Awarded the Order of the Long Leaf Pine in 2013
North Carolina State University Bulletin
"Order of Long Leaf Pine to Walden"
- Recipient of the 2010 University of North Carolina Board of Governors Award for Excellence in Public Service
UNC TV Video Link: UNC Board of Governors Award for Excellence in Public Service: Dr. Mike Walden (Flash plug-in required)
- November 2013
- October 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- May 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
Michael L. Walden, North Carolina in the Connected Age, The University of North Carolina Press, 2008.
Michael L. Walden and Peg Thoms, eds., Battleground Business, Greenwood Press, 2007.
Michael L. Walden and M.E. Whitman Walden, Macro Mayhem, 2006, Iuniverse.
Michael L. Walden and M.E. Whitman Walden, Micro Mayhem, 2006, Iuniverse.
Smart Economics: Commonsense Answers to Fifty Questions About Government, Business, and Households, Praeger, 2005
Everyday Economics, 3nd edition, Kendall-Hunt, 2005
Economics and Consumer Decisions, Kendall-Hunt, 2001
Economic Issues: Rhetoric and Reality, Prentice-Hall, 1995
Selected Journal Articles
Alenezi, Mohammed and Michael L. Walden, "A New Look at Husbands' and Wives' Time Allocation, " The Journal of Consumer Affairs, Vol. 38, Summer 2004, 81-106.
Walden, Michael L., "Dynamic Revenue Curves for North Carolina Taxes,"Public Budgeting and Finance, Vol. 22, No. 4, December 2003, pp. 13-17.
Walden, Michael L., "Improving Revenue Flows from the Property Tax,"Popular Government, Vol.. 69, Fall 2003, pp. 49-64.
Walden, Michael L. "Absolute and Relative Consumption of Married U.S. Households in 1960 and 1996: The Cleavers Meet the Taylors," The Journal of Consumer Affairs, Vol. 36, No. 1, Summer 2002, pp. 77-98
Walden, Michael L. "Are Two Incomes Needed to Prosper Today?: Evidence from the 1960s to the 1990s," The Journal of Consumer Affairs, Vol. 35, No 1. pp 141-161, Summer 2001.
Walden, Michael L. and Zulal Sogutlu. "Determinants of Intrastate Variation in Teacher Salaries," The Economics of Education Review, Vol. 20, No. 1, 2001, pp. 63-70.
Walden, Michael L. and Zulal Denaux. "Lags in Real Property Revaluations and Estimates of Shortfalls in Property Tax Collections in North Carolina,"Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Vol. 34, No. 1, April 2002.
Walden, Michael L. and Mark Sisak. "School Inputs and Educational Outcomes in North Carolina: Comparison of Static and Dynamic Analyses",Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, vol. 31, no. 3, December 1999 pp. 593-609.
Walden, Michael L. "Geographic Variation in Consumer Prices: Implications for Local Price Indices", The Journal of Consumer Affairs, vol. 32, no.2, Winter 1998, pp. 204-226.
Walden, Michael L. "How Much Income Variation Really Exists Within a State?", Review of Regional Studies, vol. 27, no. 3, Winter 1997, pp. 237-250.
Walden, Michael L. "Testing Implications of Spatial Economics Models: Some Evidence from Food Retailing," Journal of Consumer Affairs, Summer 1990, 24(1): 24-43.
Walden, Michael L. "Why Unit Prices of Supermarket Products Vary," Journal of Consumer Affairs, 1988, 22(1).
- ARE 201 Introduction to Agricultural and Resource Economics
- State Agribusiness Values
- County and Regional Agribusiness Values
- North Carolina Economic Outlook Series
- You Decide - biweekly newsletter
- Economic Perspective: N.C. State University Extension Economist Mike Walden and host Mary Walden take a daily look at the latest economic issues facing North Carolina and the nation in their radio show, The Economic Perspective
- The Economics of a Land Transfer Tax
- The Changing NC Economy, Forces, Prospects, Issues (PowerPoint) / (PDF version)
- North Carolina's Relative Tax Burden
- A Primer on Residential Impact Fees
- Economic Benefits in North Carolina of The University of North Carolina Campuses