Vukina, Tomislav, PhD
Agricultural and Resource Economics
Expertise: Agricultural Economics: Prices, Markets and Policy, Industrial Organization, Natural Resource Economics and Management
Phone: (919) 515-5964
Fax: (919) 515-6268
Office Address: 3332 Nelson
Tomislav Vukina is a Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics at North Carolina State University. He earned his Ph.D. in Economics – Marine Resources from the University of Rhode Island in 1991, and came to NCSU in 1993. Dr. Vukina is the author of numerous refereed journal articles, research bulletins, and extension, business and trade publications. Among many other outlets, he has published in International Journal of Industrial Organization, Journal of Business and Economic Statistics, Journal of Labor Economics, American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Health Economics, Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, and Land Economics. His research and extension programs are focused on economic organization of agriculture, economics of incentives and information, and personnel economics. He is nationally and internationally known by his work in economics of agricultural contracts and economics of the poultry industry. He has been invited on numerous occasions by industry leaders, producer associations, government officials, advocacy groups, lawyers and mass media to give talks and provide professional assessments and commentaries regarding a variety of issues related to poultry industry and agricultural contracts in general. He teaches courses in microeconomics, industrial organization and agricultural contracts and advises graduate students writing dissertations in various fields of applied microeconomics. Dr. Vukina coordinated many domestic and international projects and served as a consultant to governments, NGOs, and public and private companies.
- Wang, Z. and T. Vukina. Welfare Effects of Payment Truncation in Piece Rate Tournaments. Journal of Economics 120 (2017): 219-249.
- Dubois, P. and T. Vukina. Incentives to Invest in Short-term vs. Long-term Contracts: Theory and Evidence. The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, Vol. 16(3), (2016): 1239-1272.
- Zheng, Y. and T. Vukina. Using Age-Based Insurance Eligibility Criterion to Estimate Moral Hazard in Medical Care Consumption. Financial Theory and Practice 40 (No.3), (2016): 338-356.
- Kandilov, I. and T. Vukina. Salaries or Piece Rates: On Endogenous Matching of Harvest Workers and Crops. Economic Inquiry, Vol. 54 (No.1), January 2016: 76-99.
- Vukina, T. and D. Nestic. Do People Drive Safer when Accidents are More Expensive: Testing for Moral Hazard in Experience Rating Schemes, Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Vol. 71 (2015): 46-58.
- Weng, T., T. Vukina and X. Zheng. Productivity or Demand: Determinants of Plant Survival and Ownership Change in the U.S. Poultry Industry. Applied Economic Perspectives and Policy, Vol. 37, No. 1 (2015): 151-175.
- Liu, X., D. Nestic and T. Vukina. Estimating Adverse Selection and Moral Hazard Effects with Hospital Invoices Data in a Government Controlled Health Care System. Health Economics, Vol. 21 (August 2012): 883-901.
- Vukina, T. and X. Zheng. Homogenous and Heteregenous Contestants in Piece Rate Tournaments: Theory and Empirical Analysis. Journal of Business and Economic Statatistics, Vol. 29 (October 2011):506-517.
- Vukina, T. and X. Zheng. Bargaining, Search, and Price Dispersion: Evidence from the Live Hogs Market. Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Vol. 39 (October 2010): 534-546.
- Dubois, P. and T. Vukina. Optimal Incentives under Moral Hazard and Heterogeneous Agents: Evidence from Production Contracts Data. International Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol. 27 (July 2009): 489-500.
- T. Vukina, C, Shin, and X. Zheng. Complementarity Among Alternative Procurement Arrangements in the Pork Packing Industry. Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization. Vol. 7 (February 2009) Article 3.
- X. Zheng, T. Vukina. Do Alternative Marketing Arrangements Increase Pork Packers’ Market Power? American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 91(1) (February 2009):250-263
- T. Vukina and Danijel Nestic. Asymmetric Information in Health Insurance: Some Preliminary Evidence from the Croatian State-Administered Supplemental Plan. Privredna Kretanja i Ekonomska Politika 115/2008.
- X. Zheng, T. Vukina, and Changmock Shin. The Role of Farmers’ Risk aversion for Contract Choice in the US Hog Industry.Journal of Agricultural & Food Industrial Organization. Vol. 6 (2008) Article 4.
- T. Vukina, X. Zheng, Michele Marra and Armando Levy. Do Farmers Value the Environment? Evidence from a Conservation Reserve Program Aution International Journal of Industrial Organization Vol. 26 (November 2008): 1323-1332.
- T. Vukina and X. Zheng. Structural Estimation of Rank-Order Tournament Games with Private Information. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol.89 (August 2007): 651-664.
- Zheng X. and T. Vukina. Efficiency Gains from Organizational Innovation: Comparing Ordinal and Cardinal Tournament Games in Broiler Contracts. International Journal of Industrial Organization, Vol. 25 (2007): 843-859.
- Porametr Leegomonchai and T. Vukina. Political Economy of Regulation of Boiler Contracts. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. Vol. 88(November 5, 2006):1258-1265.
- Inoue, A. and T. Vukina. Testing for the Principal’s Monopsony Power in Agency Contracts. Empirical Economics, Vol. 31 (2006): 717-734.
- Vukina, T. and P. Leegomonchai. Oligopsony Power, Asset Specificity and Hold-Up: Evidence from the Broiler Industry. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 88 (3), (August 2006): 589-605.
- Leegomonchai, P. and T. Vukina. Dynamic Incentives and Agent Discrimination in Broiler Production Tournaments. Journal of Economics and Management Strategy, Vol. 14 (4), 2005: 849-877.
- Pierre Dubois and T. Vukina. Grower Risk Aversion and the Cost of Moral Hazard in Livestock Production Contracts. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 86(3) (August 2004): 835-841
- Bontems, P., P. Dubois, and T. Vukina. Optimal Regulation of Private Production Contracts with Environmental Externalities. Journal of Regulatory Economics, Vol. 26 (3), 2004: 287-301.
- Levy, A. and T. Vukina. The League Composition Effect in Tournaments with Heterogeneous Players: An Empirical Analysis of Broiler Contracts. Journal of Labor Economics, Vol. 22 (2), 2004: 353-377.
- Vukina, T. The Relationship between Contracting and Livestock Waste Pollution. Review of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 25 (1), 2003: 66-88.
- Levy, A. and T. Vukina. Optimal Linear Contracts with Heterogeneous Agents. European Review of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 29 (2), 2002: 205-217.
- Tsoulouhas, T. and T. Vukina. Regulating Broiler Contracts: Tournaments versus Fixed Performance Standards. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 83 (November), 2001: 1062-1073.
- Vukina, T. C. E. Hilmer and D. Lueck. A Hotelling – Faustmann Explanation of the Structure of Christmas Tree Prices. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 83 (August), 2001: 513-525.
- Vukina, T. and A. Wossink. Environmental Policies and Agricultural Land Values: Evidence from the Dutch Nutrient Quota System. Land Economics, Vol. 76 (3), 2000: 413-429.
- Tsoulouhas, T. and T. Vukina. Integrator Contracts with Many Agents and Bankruptcy. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 81 (1), 1999: 61-74.
- D.F. Li and T. Vukina. Effectiveness of Dual Hedging with Price and Yield Futures. The Journal of Futures Markets, Vol. 18 (5), 1998: 541-561.
- Palmquist, R. B., F. M. Roka, and T. Vukina. Hog Operations, Environmental Effects, and Residential Property Values. Land Economics, Vol. 73 (1), 1997: 114-124.
- Vukina, T., D. F. Li, and D. Holthausen. Hedging with Crop Yield Futures: A Mean-Variance Analysis. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 78 (November), 1996: 1015-1025.
- Vukina, T. and J. L. Anderson. A State-Space Forecasting Approach to Optimal Intertemporal Cross-Hedging. American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Vol. 75 (May), 1993: 416-424.
- Richard Vaccaro and T. Vukina. A Solution to the Positivity Problem in the State-Space Approach to Modeling Vector-Valued Time Series. Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control. 17 (1993): 401-421.
- Estimating Asymmetric Information Effects in Health Care Accounting for the Transactions Cost
- Sorting into Contests: Evidence from Production Contracts
- Positively Dependent Productivity Shocks in Tournaments: An Empirical Analysis of Production Contracts Settlement Data
- Risk Aversion, Moral Hazard and Gender Differences in Health Care Utilization